The Bull is a modern take on the traditional pub. We would like to think of ourselves as the first choice for drinking and dining near Liverpool Street Station; despite the high density of trendy pubs in London we do have something a little different to offer.
Of course, we still concentrate on providing our patrons with high quality British food, worldly wines and a range of craft beers, ales and ciders, all wrapped up in knowledgeable and friendly service. However, a great pub is not all we are - The Hide is our first floor dining room offering a relaxed dining area or just a quieter drinking spot than the main bar downstairs. Perfect for catching up with friends, lovers and workmates alike.
If you are looking for even a brief stop off in a pub near Spitalfields Market, Liverpool Street Station and in the heart of the City, look no further than The Bull and The Hide. Ideal for a pie and a pint, a romantic meal or stylish hotel accommodation.
The Hide at The Bull
The Hide at The Bull is our 1st floor intimate 36 seat restaurant, bar and private dining room. A very different feel from the pub below, The Hide at the Bull is a secret escape from the bustle of the City, with elegant interior design, fine art, serving the same great quality available in the bar. The Hide is perfect for business lunches, romantic evening meals and is available for private hire.
Our head chef creates seasonal menus of contemporary British food with European influences. The menu is complimented by a sommelier selected wine list, array of British spirits and a innovative cocktail list.
About Hush Heath Estate
History of The Bull and The Hide
In 1550 an aspiring nobleman, Jasper Fisher, built a house on this site (No. 4 18 Devonshire Row) described as “sumptuously builded and beautiful…with gardens of pleasure and bowling lanes.” Fisher’s house being considered far too splendid for a mere clerk of the Chancery, and now much in debt, became mockingly referred to as “Fisher’s Folly”. In 1579 the estate was sold to Edward de Vere, the popular Earl of Oxford who lived here until 1588.
Sir William Cornwallis acquired Fisher’s Folly next and lived here until 1603 when the property fell to Roger Manners, Earl of Rutland, one of the most well-educated and remarkably literate people of Elizabethan England. Lord and Lady Harrington are the next occupants, and notable for their responsibility in being made ward of the new Stuart King James’ children.
In c1625, William Cavendish, 2nd Earl of Devonshire, purchased Fisher’s Folly, promptly renamed “Devonshire House”. His wife Christian, Countess of Devonshire, the last resident of Fisher’s Folly, held the property until her death in 1675 when it was sold to Nicholas Barbon for development. Barbon laid out the courtyard design of Devonshire Square with Devonshire Row connecting to Bishopsgate and we have the first accounts of the “Bull Tavern” operating on Devonshire Row. The Tudor mansion house was pulled down in 1680 but the remains of Fisher’s Folly can still be seen today at the rear wall of this establishment.
It is noteworthy that two of the former owners of Fisher’s Folly (de Vere and Manners) have alternately been reputed as the true authors of Shakespeare’s plays.